The City of Holladay Code makes provisions for limited business activities in the home. Because home businesses have direct impact within a residential neighborhood and are regulated under the business licensing title and under the zoning title as a conditional use. You will need to receive several approvals before your home occupation can be licensed.

First, you must apply for a business license. The application can be obtained from the Business License Department of the City.  After you have completed the initial application, you will need to turn it into the licensing department along with the appropriate fees.

Depending on your business type, you may need to apply for and receive approval from the Planning Commission for a conditional use permit for your home occupation.  The conditional use permit is an appliation turned into the Community Development Dept. requesting review of higher impact business activity and/or permission to receive customers in an area zoned residential.  Neighbors within a 500 ft radius will be notified of the public meeting and may attend and comment.

There are several other approvals that must be obtained along with the conditional use permit. They may include the Salt Lake County Fire Department, Salt Lake County Health Department and the UPD office. Upon receipt of these recommendations, your business license will be sent to you at the address listed on the application.

As with all business licenses, they are renewed yearly. However, the conditional use permit is a one-time approval. The conditional use permit is subject to review upon complaint. If there is a complaint about your business activities that is substantiated by the City Code Enforcement Officer, you may be required to return to the Planning Commission for review. The Planning Commission may impose additional conditions on the business or revoke the conditional use permit and business license.