Welcome to the City of Holladay’s Building Department. The Building Department provides plan checking, permitting, and inspection services for new construction, additions, remodels, alterations, and demolitions. Please contact us with any questions you have regarding a permit application, permit status, inspection requirements, status of an inspection, building code questions, or building complaints.
Permit Center Hours
For specific technical help, or to meet with an inspector our counter help hours are Monday and Wednesday from 3:30 – 5pm. Counter hours are available for the review of simple projects that do not require extensive plan review.
Simple projects generally include: Basement finishes, roof conversions, decks, water heater replacements, electrical service upgrades, carports, siding replacement, signs, minor electrical, plumbing and mechanical work, pools and spas, small tenant improvements, temporary power pedestals, furnace and air-conditioning installations and exterior door and window replacements.
For information on specific permit requirements, the following links are provided:
To schedule building inspections, please call 364-1465 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Inspections cannot be scheduled through an inspector. (24 hr. notice is required)
All new construction and all remodels are required to obtain a building inspection. The purpose of a building inspection is to verify compliance with the minimum safety standards set forth in the adopted building codes.
A successful building inspection does not guarantee:
- good workmanship
- proper paint colors
- perfectly level counter tops
However, a successful building inspection does mean that your home or commercial space does:
- meet standards to ensure your safety
- ensure that the building was built to the structural specifications as shown on the approved building plans
- provide proof to insurance agencies that all work was done with a permit and to the minimum safety requirements (sometimes required to process a claim in the event of fire or other loss)
- Building inspections are generally made during business hours Monday - Friday. At a minimum, you should call at least 24 hours in advance to the desired inspection date.
At the inspection, the Building Inspector will review all work done, compare it to the approved plans or building code (as applicable) for compliance, and issue an inspection report. The report will either "pass" the inspection, or will contain a list of necessary corrections that must be completed prior to a re-inspection. The inspection reports are kept on file with the permit and are not destroyed.